Friday, March 21, 2008

coming soon to a theatre (library) near you


When sleep eludes me, I like to pull out my iPod and catch up on podcasts. Last night I listened to KCRW's The Treatment and Elvis Mitchell interviewed the screenwriter, Nancy Oliver, whose recent film Lars and the Real Girl was nominated for an Academy Award (best original screenplay). "Oliver discusses her love of Dickens, Balzac, Beckett and Shakespeare; her early career in theater; the 'geography of kindness and compassion' that evolves as the community comes to terms with Lars and Bianca; and the importance of humor in tragedy."

It won't be available on DVD until April 15th, but you can place a hold now on this lovely little film, Lars and the Real Girl. I have to say, this was one of my favorite N. American films of the past year. And, if you want to know more about some other of the films you've seen this year, check out Elvis Mitchell and The Treatment.
His knowledge of film and literature astounds me, but he's no snooty critic. He just loves film; and has really interesting conversations with film actors, directors, producers, and writers.

No comments: