Monday, July 28, 2008

Summer Reading


If you are like me, summertime brings lots and lots of company, hiking, rodeos, kayaking, dinner parties and picnics, swimming, road trips and, did I mention, lots and lots of company. All of this squeezed into a week that includes work (if you are lucky like me, the work is stimulating and fun!), laundry, gardening, and cleaning the house. So when do you find time to read?


After four days of a 30-people family reunion, I took a Sunday all to myself. It was heaven! And for the first time in forever, I read an entire book. Beautiful Boy: a father's journey through his son's addiction is humorous, heavy, and a darned good read. Susan Cheever says, "This story of parental love is a masterpiece of description and feeling. Sheff portrays addiction and its confusion in a way that is immediate, informative, and heartbreaking. His quest for healing is a riveting suspense story that will enlighten and compel anyone who has ever dealt with addiction, and anyone who has ever raised a child."


So if you find yourself with time to read, check out David Sheff's Beautiful Boy. You don't have to read it all in one day like I did, but I bet you'll find it hard to put down.

No comments: